Monday, December 31, 2012

Insulation and Electrical

Work has slowed down a bit because of Christmas and just some schedule/timing issues. We are entering the home stretch though.

Some work was done on finishing up the interior framing and plumbing but the most obvious changes over the last few weeks have been the electrical and insulation. In short, all the outlets are in place and the switches for the light are done. The ceiling and wall insulation was put up but a subcontractor who is also going to do our drywalling. Since there is only so much that can be said about this, on to the pictures.


First off, the skylights in the den and kitchen/dining room make a HUGE difference. Even when it is overcast a fair amount of light comes into the room. I'm really happy with them. Also, with the heavy rain and light snow we've gotten lately, I know they are watertight.

The washer and dryer are getting a workout with the whole family together for Christmas. This is the plumbing from the backside before the drywall goes up. You can see the PEX water supplies and the assorted PVC drains and vents. The blue tube is just a color coded piece of PEX to help keep the cold water supply easily identified. The vent for the dryer hasn't worked out the way we wanted. The plan had been to go through the wall and out the back of the addition but it isn't going to happen. We are exploring going into the attic and out through the roof.


The HVAC ducting is in the ceiling and ends in these round registers so they will match the rest of the house. You can also see the wires that will eventually go into ceiling canisters to be the overhead lights in the kitchen/dining room area. It is pretty funny how relatively simple the most important things in the house are but how silly little extras tend to be the fiddly complicated parts.



This is the back wall of the utility room/shop. Most of the wall outlets in there are double boxes with two outlets on a 20 amp line. The washing machine is on a separate line so, if I really needed to split things up, I could use that outlet as well. All in all though, I'm hoping seven outlets will get the job done for me. The switches to the left are for the back light and a three way switch for the overhead light.  Plan is for a semi-industrial looking fluorescent tube fixture.


The outlets are all up high for easy access and are protected by a GFI outlet at the beginning of the run. Installing the outlets was actually one of the few hands on parts of this project that I've done. It felt good to be involved and it worked out that I had time and the required knowledge to do this. The outlets had a different method of connection than I was used to. I really liked it though. Instead of pushing the wires in through the back or try and loop them around the appropriate screws, theses guys have avmetal clip that is screwed down to firmly hold the wires in place. Way less fiddly than the other ways if you ask me.


The box pictured above has the switch for the exhaust fan installed. The paints I use on the toys I make are non-toxic and don't smell but the spray acrylic and other finishes I use on occasion can really be pretty intense. I have a nice window in the room I intend to take full advantage of but I felt an exhaust fan was a must. It is on the opposite side of the room so when used with the window open, I should get a decent cross ventilation situation going.


The den will have wall mounted lights (dare I say sconces.) That space has really come together but some of the brick work needs to be repaired and we still haven't settled on the entrance doors to the room. I really like how traditional French doors would look, but they do take up extra space to allow the swing of the door and we need to accept that they will open most of the time. There are other options though... we're keeping an open mind.





One bit of semi-goofiness that happened was insulation was installed on the interior wall between the den and utility room. It was a mistake but being a glass half full kind on guy, I'm gonna say that it might help with some of the noise reduction in that part of the house. I don't think firing up the table say at 10pm will ever be a good idea, but in general, less noise for the others in the house is better. (As long as they can hear me scream for help.) Teddy likes that there is still a cut through there though. All the better to get on the other side and wait to attack me when I come through.


 A scene from my upcoming novel
"Snow Falling on Mud"
So, we are about seven months into this in terms of real work. (Not counting the initial planning and some preliminary work.) I'm anxious to get it finished and in use. My guess is about 6 or 8 more weeks to be "done." Winter hasn't been too bad so far but January and February is real winter around here. The house is noticeably colder but the recently added insulation has helped. Drywall and the caulking of the windows and doors should start to give us an accurate feel for how the house will be going forward.

Happy New Year.

1 comment:

  1. "The paints I use on the toys I make are non-toxic and don't smell..."

    Wait until you start using nitrocellulose finishes on those instruments.

    ReplyDelete